On Christmas I made my very first pot roast… and WOW it was delicious! 2 thumbs up from my family. Tender, juicy, fall-apart, and of course here comes my favorite word… easy! I created this recipe myself because even though I read through tons and tons of “the best” recipes… apparently I’m terrible at following directions. Luckily for you guys, my own concoction was amazing and I’m sure you and your family will love it!
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2 – 3 inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby carrots
- About 1/2 lb red potatoes, halved (you only need enough to cover the bottom of the slow cooker)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 tablespoon beef base (find in the bouillon section in a jar)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place potatoes in bottom of the slow cooker and lay carrots, sliced onions, and bay leaves on top.
- Heat olive oil in pan on high.
- Whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Coat all sides of roast pieces.
- Seer all sides of coated roast pieces. Lay on top of veggies in slow cooker.
- Mix together brown sugar, beef base, garlic, and beef broth until sugar and beef base are dissolved. Pour into crock pot. This is the hardest part of the entire dish… how awesome is that?!
- Secure lid. Turn on low. Let cook for at least 8 hours. Then serve!
This recipe makes about 4 servings (of course dependent upon the amounts of meat everyone likes to eat.) I made this for my mom and boyfriend for Christmas, and we still had tons of leftovers.
Tip: if you tend to like things a bit more salty, you can also add a teaspoon of salt to the liquid mixture, but I prefer guests are able to salt to taste… so I only used salt in seering the meat.
And another tip: spoon out some of the juice in the crock pot, add a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and you have easy gravy!!
Try out my recipe and let me know what you think!
Excellent website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!